KATY MAGAZINE NEWS
November 7, 2018
by Jennifer Lynn Greenway
Precinct 5 investigators recently recovered an illegal ATM skimmer at the Raceway gas station at the corner of North Westgreen and Park Row in Katy.
(Not actual skimmer found but picture depicts the same model found on the Katy ATM)
The skimmer was carefully glued over the ATM card reader, disguised to blend in with the ATM’s normal equipment. In addition, the suspect installed a tiny a camera above the keypad to capture PINs as unsuspecting customers punched their numbers into the keypad.
The Raceway station operator immediately reported this crime and is working closely with deputies to help identify the person who installed it. This incident is a reminder to us all how difficult it can be to protect yourself from these electronic devices designed to gain access to your bank account.
With the holidays fast approaching, Constable Ted Heap would like to remind you to take steps to protect yourself whenever you are using a credit card reader or ATM:
• Check the electronic reader for any evidence of tampering. If the card reader appears loose or broken, report it to a station attendant and find a more secure device to use.
• When possible, use indoor ATMs with security cameras nearby and card readers that are inset into the machine.
• If you use an outdoor ATM, try to find one in a well-lit area, preferably close to a cashier.
• Check your credit card and debit card transactions daily. Immediately report any suspicious activity.
• When using your credit card at a gas pump, check to see if the pump’s security seal is broken. If the doors to the pump’s interior is unlocked or open, do not use it.
If you suspect an ATM has a skimmer attached, call the Harris County Constable at (281) 463-6666.
SUBSCRIBE FREE TO KATY MAGAZINE