Below are the results of the 2017 statewide election, as well as the Katy ISD Bond Referendum, Lamar Consolidated ISD Bond, and more.
KATY MAGAZINE NEWS - Katy, TX
November 8, 2017
By Jennifer Skelton
Election Day, November 7, 2017 shaped up to be a clean sweep for all items affecting Katy. In comparison to other years, the 2017 Ballot had very few items but with two school districts in our city having bonds on the ballot, there were voters on each side debating the pros and cons of the bond passing. Both Katy ISD and Lamar Consolidated ISD are experiencing rapid growth and need new schools to alleviate overcrowding along with upgrades and maintenance on existing facilities.
Katy ISD BOND:
The $609 million bond includes six new schools (an elementary, junior high and high school in Cross Creek Ranch plus a junior high and two elementary schools in the northwest quadrant of the district). The remaining 26% will go towards a Fielder Elementary comprehensive renovation; Raines ad Katy High School additions; portable buildings; buses and various other replacements and upgrades to existing schools and facilities.
Katy ISD is the second fastest growing district in the state and was recently voted the #1 school district in the Houston metro area. If the bond passes, there will not be a school tax increase.
For: 65% Against: 34%
LAMAR CONSOLIDATED ISD BOND:
Lamar Consolidated is asking for $445.4 million to keep up with the 4% growth that the district is experiencing yearly with expected enrollment to reach 50,000 by 2026. The bond will fund five new schools including three elementary, one junior high, one high school and an alternative learning center which accounts for 70% of the bond. The remaining 30% will go toward upgrades throughout the district.
Lamar is the 6th fastest growing school district in Texas. If the bond passes, the average homeowner (house value of $231,000) will see a tax increase of $8.18 per month. Lamar currently has one elementary school in Katy, Lindsey Elementary School, located in Firethorne.
For: 60% Against: 39%
CY-FAIR ISD TRUSTEE POSITION 6:
Don Ryan (Incumbant): 61%
Natalie Blasingame: 38%
Fort Bend County Mobility Bond ($218 million)
Includes the following road improvements in Katy.
Grand Parkway (99) Frontage Road Segment 1 – adds a two-lane feeder road southbound from Cinco Ranch Blvd to Westheimer Rd ($4.9 million)
Grand Parkway (99) Frontage Road Segment 2 – adds a two-lane feeder road southbound from S. Fry Rd to FM 1093 ($12.6 million)
Cane Island Parkway – second half of 4 lane boulevard from FM 1463 to I-10 ($6.27 million)
Roesner Rd Segment 1 & 2 – design fees to expand to 4-lane road from Gaston Rd to Katy Gap Rd ($3.19 million)
For: 69% Against: 30%
State Wide Amendments
AMENDMENT NO. 1:
Authorizes the legislature to provide for an exemption from ad valorem taxation of part of the market value of the residence homestead of a partially disabled veteran or his/her surviving spouse if the residence homestead was donated by a charitable organization for less than the market value of the residence homestead.
For: 85% Against: 14%
AMENDMENT NO. 2:
Establishes a lower amount of expenses that can be charged to a borrower and removes certain financing expense limitations for a home equity loan, establishes certain authorized lenders to make a home equity loan, changes certain options for the refinancing of home equity loans, changes the threshold for an advance of a home equity line of credit, and allows home equity loans on agricultural homesteads.
For: 68% Against: 31%
AMENDMENT NO. 3:
Limits the service period of certain officeholders appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Senate after the expiration of the person's term of office.
For: 83% Against: 16%
AMENDMENT NO. 4:
Authorizes the legislature to require a court to provide notice to the Attorney General of a challenge to the constitutionality of a state statute and authorizes the legislature to prescribe a waiting period before the court may enter a judgment holding the statute unconstitutional.
For: 64% Against: 35%
AMENDMENT NO. 5:
Allows more professional sports teams' charitable foundations to conduct charitable raffles.
For: 60% Against: 39%
AMENDMENT NO. 6:
Authorizes an exemption from ad valorem taxation of all or part of the market value of the residence homestead of the surviving spouse of a first responder who is killed or fatally injured in the line of duty.
For: 84% Against: 15%
AMENDMENT NO. 7:
“The constitutional amendment relating to legislative authority to permit credit unions and other financial institutions to award prizes by lot to promote savings.”
For: 59% Against: 40%