Search

Rescue Dog Saves Katy Woman from House Fire


KATY MAGAZINE | April 2019

By Natalie Cook Clark

A Katy resident was saved by her dog Marley, who promptly alerted his owner that the house was on fire.

Marley saved his owner, Patrycia Metzler from a house fire

Patrycia Metzler was in a deep sleep on Wednesday, March 13 at about 3:20 a.m. when her home in the Westland subdivision in Katy caught fire. She woke up to find her dog, Marley, persistently licking her face.

"He just wouldn't stop," says Metzler, who described Marley's behavior as different than normal. "He licked, barked, pawed, and pulled at my hair until I got up. When I opened my door the house was full of flames."

Escaping the Flames

Metzler picked up her small Chihuahua Bella, and they stayed at Marley's side as he led them through a small break in the flames and out the front door.

"I don't remember much. I passed out in the grass outside and then I remember the fire fighters getting there," recalls Metzler. "They kept talking about how Marley saved me and he wouldn't leave my side." Metzler, Marley, and Bella were all unharmed by the fire.

Photo Credit: Harris County Emergency Service District 48

Suspected Electrical Fire

"It was something electrical in or around the microwave," says Simon VanDyk, Public Information Officer at Harris County ESD 48 Fire Department. "It is unclear at this time whether all of the smoke alarms in the home were working."

"We have had far too many homeowners alerted by their dogs because their alarms are too old and no longer reliable. Many don’t know you are supposed to replace devices that are more than 10 years old," cautions VanDyk. "Dogs help, but what would be better is having up to date, working smoke alarms."

Saving Each Other